Saturday, February 20, 2016

Beginnings of a short Political Essay

Voters 'R' Us


What happened to the good old days when asking a random individual who they were planning on voting for president was considered rude? For years, even before I was legally capable, I have hesitated on voting for president because a huge chunk of me felt like that stereotypical homo in the back of the room making a spectacle of my political insecurities and trying to push an agenda I felt was an obligation conducted by people I knew nothing about. I was surrounded by people who assumed I was a part of a political party based off of my choice to be open about my sexual preference, who I associated with, but nothing on what I talked about or thought. How I saw it was, my voice was taken away by a lot of people who had categorized me (and still do no matter what affiliation they deem their own) because all they see is "Gay Rights" and "Gender Equality" when they look into my "politically ignorant" eyes. After that, I swore in my young ignorance to never register to vote in my life.

I am sure it's no surprise that just about everyone I knew had a say on how I am giving up an American right to vote for our Nation's Commander and Chief or that I have no room to complain about the tribulations in the upcoming administrations if I don't embark on my civic duty. I have had a hard time agreeing with such naysayers my whole life and have a good reason as to why.

The hardest part for me was to hide from every politically active person in my life to avoid the same conversations. To me they were the ones who were taking my voice away by expressing their own and I tried to not be emotional about it. I gave them the power and I let them keep it for a very long time because I could not separate myself cognitively from what I feel is right and wrong. Why would what matters to me seem legitimate to anyone if my obvious stereotype already spoke for my personal political policies? So I turned my cheek to politics, not out of lack of understanding of the game, but out of disappointment from my fellow American citizens not allowing me to express my political freedoms how I was taught to.

As of recent I realized how entitled I must have come across to others due to my (recently abolished) anti-government tryst I thought was the answer for myself. It was a terrifying ride that introduced a lot of realities I needed to be aware of, stripped me down of my own privilege, and showed me a lot about what matters more than my own struggles that I am more than grateful to have learned than I can express in words. But, it was also an awakening of my politically savvy self I forgot had existed.

I luckily have overcome such angst ridden views and really have started to realize I don't need anyone to tell me my political voice matters anymore. I recognize I have no political obligations to anyone but myself and what I believe is right for our country. All I need is my brain, my tenacity, and my eyes to make my own decision if I choose to make it. Politics have given me a gift that I think a lot of people have forgotten existed. Privacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment